Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sydney Opera House Tour {and The Royal Australian Botanical Gardens}

Part of the unique structure of the Sydney Opera House roof

Today I took a tour of one of the most remarkable buildings in the world: The Sydney Opera House.  I've been to Sydney prior to moving here and was able to walk around the Opera House but never had I been inside. For me, just standing next to this building is amazing and I've always wanted to attend a show here ever since I was old enough to recognize the famous venue. I always thought the Opera House was so historical and imagined all the world famous operas, ballets and performances that have been held here.

I'll spare you the Wikipedia description but some interesting facts I learned today are-

-When New South Wales decided to build an Opera House a design competition was held and over 230 submissions from 23 countries were received. Danish architect Jorn Ultzon won. He moved over from Denmark to Sydney with his family to oversee the project of building the new Sydney Opera House.

-It was estimated that the completion of the Opera House would be done in 4 years; it took 14 years! Completed in 1973... not that old after all.

-Since the project took so long and there were many delays and budgets increases the new government that had recently been elected had to step in and take charge. They refused to continue to pay Ultzon and an Australian Architect team took over. They were not following Ultzon's original design plans so he resigned and he returned back to Denmark. He never returned to Australia to see the completed Opera House. I found this so disappointing after all of his hard work, dedication and the fact he had relocated his family and office over to Sydney for this project.

-In the late 90's, the Sydney Opera House Trust wanted to refurbish the lobby entrance of the Concert Hall and tried to reconcile with Ultzon for his input. He agreed (on his terms of course) and appointed his architect son to overlook this. To this day, any improvements or changes done to the Opera House have to go through his son. Even though Ultzon never got to walk inside his creation, at least a piece of history gets to stay in the family.

Beautiful architecture- this is a good example of Ultzon's style.

While on this tour we learned about the architecture, inside and out. It's truly a work of art. We were able to go inside the Opera Theatre, Drama Theatre and Concert Hall,  which only made me want to see a show there even more badly than I did before. We were strictly prohibited from taking any photos inside any of the theatre's so unfortunately I don't have any.

Inside the Opera Theatre we got a little glance of a rehearsal taking place for South Pacific which is on right now.  We were lucky because they closed this theatre off for any touring after our group went through so they could resume full rehearsal. Being in this theatre took me back to all those plays I saw growing up as we watched my good friend and Actress / Stunt Double in Hollywood- Monica, perform. So Monica, if you read this- come visit me so we can go see a play together; I know you out of anyone would appreciate this! I have tickets for November to see the Australian Ballet practice and do a mini-performnce with the Sydney Orchestra in this very theatre and can't wait.

I also got to go inside the Drama Theatre which has your basic theatre style seating but an interesting fact is that the bottom 2 rows of seating are under sea level. Each seat in this theatre is set up so that any seat you get, no mater who is sitting in front of you, there will be a good view of the stage. Good to know.

Lastly, the Concert Hall was the most spectacular. Seating over 2,000 people and having a cathedral roof, the 10,000+ pipe organ at the front was truly a sight to see. The only way to describe being in this Hall was magical. I have never really desired to go see the symphony or an orchestra play but hands down I am going at least once to experience being in this Concert Hall.

Every foyer in the Opera House has a view of the Sydney Harbour (left). The purple carpet of the Concert Hall foyer (right). 


Concert Hall Foyer

Oh ya, one last fact for you- the seats in all the theatre's are so comfortable! They are ergonomically correct, made by an Orthopedic Surgeon. The frames are made from Australian Birch and the cushions are made with Australian wool so they are breathable. Guess this makes sitting through a 4-hour opera more bearable?


Sydney Harbour Bridge. Picture taken standing right outside the Opera House steps. Can't wait to watch New Years Eve fireworks over this bridge!



The roof is made of ceramic tile in a Chevron pattern (a very popular pattern at the moment, I might add)


Another view of the unique structure







































After the tour I walked through The Royal Australian Botanical Gardens which is right next to the Opera House. Mom: I thought of you. I know you would love to visit here and walk through this. Enjoy the pictures.


City view from the Botanical Gardens


Tropical Centre-Australian Royal Botanical Gardens, Sydney




Anyway, I didn't mean to write this much but the tour was great and I'm glad I went. Kevin's in NZ for work this week and I just wish he was there to join me but I'll totally go again. I'm sure I'll learn something new the next time I go. 

xoxo, 
Amy



1 comment:

  1. I'm sure the pictures (although you took some good ones) don't even begin to do it justice!! My parents said the same thing about the opera house, it's amazing! I hope I get to see it one day too

    ReplyDelete