Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

City2Surf 2013

The City2Surf 14k is the largest race in the world and with 85,000 people who registered, we were a part of it. 7 months ago, I signed myself up when I was still pregnant as motivation to get myself back in shape, post pregnancy, but didn't put much thought into the training part of the race. As the days before the race grew fewer, I realized I hadn't logged more than 3 miles. Eeeek! This was our first 14k so I decided to give myself a goal: Just finish and really, really, really give a good effort to run the whole course.












The morning of the race we woke up very early and headed into the city and found that everything from public transportation to the locations of the starting lines, was very organized considering how many people were participating.

As the gun went off to signal our start, it took us 20 minutes to actually get to a point to where we could start running. Once we turned the corner into Kings Cross, what a spectacular sight it was to be up on a little bit of a hill and look down at the throngs of people in front of us running the same race. Good thing I'm not claustrophobic!

Finally starting to run as we got into Kings Cross. You can see the famous Coca Cola sign in the distance. 


The energy throughout the whole race was great-it seemed more like a fun run with some people dressed up in costumes. Once the official results came back, I found that the top finishers ran the whole thing in under 45 minutes. Not so much of a 'fun run' for some.  I think my favorite part was running towards the finish at Bondi Beach. Not only because we were almost done but because it was such a beautiful day and we got a pretty view of the ocean in the last few kilometers.

The race was so much fun and I'm so glad we participated. AND,  K and I ran together the whole way and finished. So there- we met our goals! :) Sign us up for next year!





2 comments:

  1. Wow - I'm so proud of you both! What a great thing to do together and quite a distance for not running much since Decker-doodle! You two are rock stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Thanks, Emily! I think we shocked ourselves! ha! Now we just have to keep up the running to stay in shape :) Easier said than done with a baby!

      Delete