Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Oh The Places You'll Go

Source: https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/5314_530331237009989_1886929626_n.jpg

After I wrote my last post about wanting to travel more around this part of the world, we got to talking about the where and the when.

For those of you with children, you know being spontaneous isn't that easy anymore.

For those of you with an infant getting ready to crawl, you probably know taking that airplane ride long distances is about as fun as punching yourself in the face as hard as you can.

So it takes a bit of planning but here are some of the places we would like to visit while we are living in Australia.


Whitsundays, Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia
Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/WhitsundayIslandBeach.JPG

Heart Island, Whitsundays
Source: http://www.all-wallpapers.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Heart-Island.jpg

Apart from pointing out that this place is obviously beautiful, the Whitsundays are a group of islands off of the shores of Queensland and a part of the Great Barrier Reef. The snorkeling is supposed to be amazing and the beaches impeccable. We've been to the Great Barrier Reef before but stayed near Cairnes and if you speak to anyone who is a frequent diver, they will probably tell you that the Whitsundays are hands down so much more spectacular. And who wouldn't want to stay on an island shaped like a heart or an island with the name: Daydream Island?


Fraser Island
Source: http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/Photography/Images/Content/sand-island-eastern-australia-1051916-lw.jpg

I want to go to Fraser Island because of it's beauty, diversity and all the interesting elements that make it different: 1.) It's the largest all-sand island in the world 2.) An interesting fact I learnt from some friends that recently took a diving trip there is that there are also over 100 lakes on the island and a ton of different types of animals, insects and plants. I don't care about the insects part, btw.  3.) The other night I was watching a show on TV where it was stated that it's the only place in the word where rainforest grows on top of sand dunes.


Melbourne
Source: http://www.mattlauder.com.au/images/photos/melb01.jpg


Not only do I want to visit Melbourne to see these cute, quaint little beach huts (and I want a picture of me standing in front of them), but Melbourne seems like it's so different from Sydney. Or so I hear. Some of the impressions of Melbourne that I've heard from others that have been there is that it's very artsy, hipster and the shopping is good. Those aren't good enough reasons for me to visit just another large city but since it's such an easy flight from Sydney, why not check it out for the weekend?  



Indonesia: Bali (top) and Jakarta (below). 
Sources: http://www.layoverguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Bali-Pura-Ulun-Danu-Bratan-Water-Temple-in-Bali-Indonesia.jpg and http://www.nusantaratravelagent.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/jakarta_indonesia_night.jpg


We have family that live in Jakarta so why not kill two birds with one stone? The city seems like it can be a little dangerous and scary but sticking close to the locals is the way to go. And when I say locals, I mean my father -in-law. :) Again, it's another city but since the culture is SO different and non-Westernized, I'd really like to visit here. While we are at it, a person or two has said Bali is pretty great too! ;) I know there are a lot of family friendly resorts in the island town and who doesn't like staying on a gorgeous beach?  


Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia
Source: http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/images/Ningaloo_aerial.jpg

This is the only trip that we sort of have planned. In June there is a long weekend because of the Queen's Birthday. I don't know her personally but if she's going to give us a reason to take a holiday, I'll help her celebrate.
Ningaloo Reef is one of the few places you can swim with whale sharks. I think they are harmless to snorkel around... I think. It's a short flight to the Coral Reef from Perth in Western Australia (Sydney to Perth is a longer 5-hour flight). I don't know much about the western part of Australia except the beaches are pretty and full of dangerous, hungry sharks. Little Decker will not be swimming here and I possibly won't either. We'll leave that to Kevin who says, I quote: "Sharks are just like dogs, they are just curious." Well Kevin, I quote, "Curiosity killed the cat." Sharks or no sharks, I look forward to checking out Western Oz.


The 12-Apostles along the Great Ocean Road-South Australia
Source: http://www.victoria.visitorsbureau.com.au/regions/apostles-on-the-great-ocean-road-1561.jpg

Lastly, there is the Great Ocean Road. It's 243km's long and can be driven from Melbourne to Adelaide (South Australia) over a few days. There are many breathtaking spots to stop at and explore along the way such as the 12-Apostles. A couple of our friends have done this and said that the limestone rocks that stick up out of the ocean are massive. I can't wait to do this drive and plan to bring my SLR camera, if I don't, I know I'll regret it.





No comments:

Post a Comment